Mission Statement

It is the mission of the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild to give knitters of all skill levels the opportunity to get to know other knitters, to learn new techniques, and to share their ideas, resources, and talents with the community.

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Doing My Homework

There was a pretty good turnout at the first BLKG Zoom meeting on October 15th.  Glenyss from the Grafton Yarn Shop came and presented the first half of her "Which Sweater Should I Make For Me?" class.  We learned about body shape, texture and pattern, and color consideration.

I'd like to say that I have an Hourglass shape because I do have a waist but I think I'm more Round.  *sigh*

She talked about choosing a pattern that calls attention to the parts of you that you like and how to choose a sweater that will fool the eye and downplay your negatives, like a patterned yoke to make up for a small top or a cropped sweater to draw the eye away from your hips.

Remember getting your colors done in the 1980s?  She talked about choosing a color that will flatter you and make the most of your skin tone, eyes, and hair.

Now comes the homework.  For this month's meeting she asked that we search pattern books or Ravelry for patterns that we think will flatter our body shape.  I've found three cardigan patterns, well, two really because the third one is a shrug cardigan with three big buttons down the front, which with my "front", I suspect wouldn't look good.  Maybe I'd put on just one button...  Or maybe that pattern is my "Don't."  Next I'll search for the right colors.  

Join us on November 19 to see what people find.  I'm not ready to start a sweater just now but doing this will make sure I have the right sweater and color when I'm ready to cast on.  

You come and play along too.

No comments:

Post a Comment