Mission Statement

It is the mission of the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild to give knitters of all skill levels the opportunity to get to know other knitters, to learn new techniques, and to share their ideas, resources, and talents with the community.

Friday, May 8, 2015

It's BLKG's 5th Anniversary!

1st Anniversary Cake
Unbelievable, I know, but Bay Lakes Knitting Guild has been connecting, educating, and entertaining knitters for five years this month.  I read President Julie's letter in the newsletter this month (thanks, Beth!) that she has fun things planned for the meeting.  (She mentioned a big decorated cookie--I'm in!)  Here's what she had to say:

"I have dug through the Knitting Guild's record book and I've found some interesting things in there.  I'll do a recap of some of the events of the last 5 years.  I'll also have a summary of some of the programs we have done.  My, what we have learned!  Come and enjoy!

We'll have an open forum-type meeting with our regular Show and Tell along with Yarn Crawl Show and Tell.  Can't wait to see the treasures from Xpressions Yarn and Bead and the WI Alpaca & Fiber Fest.

Even if you didn't participate in the Yarn Crawl, I would still like to invite you to make the Like Magic Knit Scarf for an upcoming Show and Tell.  It would be a lot of fun to see the same project made by different knitters."                                                                                                                                                                                                               --Julie Lefevre

I agree that it would be fun to see the same project made by a bunch of us.  I printed off the pattern and checked my Ravelry stash to see what sport yarns I have with the yardage the pattern requires.  (I'm determined to knit from stash all year if I can.)  I've read and reread the pattern and it seems fairly straightforward.  Now all I need are about 325 size 6/0 beads and I can play along.  (Hmm, I wonder if I might have some beads that size... I don't have many beads but I should go look.) Think about playing along too.  This looks like a great "summer" project--because who wants a lap full of wool in the summer?

Are you working on a "stash" project?  (Last month's President's Corner suggestion.)  I resurrected a sweater that I started in 2010.  The back was done, the front almost done, and I had started the cuffs 2-at-a-time.  In her President's letter, Julie said she had a gauge issue with her stash project, had ripped and restarted twice.  I had a measurement issue in that the armholes of the front were about 1 1/4" shorter than the armholes of the back.  Oops.  I thought they were the same until I blocked the pieces, laid them one on top of the other and discovered the problem.  (This is a powerful argument in favor of blocking before seaming up.)  It was an easy fix to frog back the shoulder decreases, slide in a lifeline (for easy measuring), and knit up to where it was supposed to be in the first place, THEN do the shoulder decreases.  I finished the sleeves on Tuesday so the sleeves and fixed front got an overnight soak in wool wash then this morning I patted them into shape to dry.  I had hoped to have it finished for next Thursday's Show and Tell but once the pieces are dry I have to seam the shoulders, knit the collar, then seam the sleeves on and sew the sides, so maybe not a whole finished sweater by Thursday but close.  Not to brag (okay, yes, I'm bragging, I admit it), I resurrected another WIP from 2010 (was that the "year of abandoned projects?") to knit on while the sweater parts dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment