Mission Statement

It is the mission of the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild to give knitters of all skill levels the opportunity to get to know other knitters, to learn new techniques, and to share their ideas, resources, and talents with the community.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Homemade Hummus



As I promised, I'm posting the recipe for the hummus I took to yesterday's World Wide Knit in Public Day celebration. The recipe's from an old Weight Watchers cookbook from the mid-70s before "points" were invented and "exchanges" were all the rage.

WW Hummus (serves 4)

4 oz. chickpeas (1/2 can), drained (reserve liquid)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 small garlic clove
Pinch of salt

In bowl of food processor, combine chickpeas and 1 Tablespoon reserved liquid with remaining ingredients. Process into a smooth paste, adding more reserved liquid if needed ot achieve desired texture.

Each serving = 1/2 protein, 15 optional calories

Variations I've tried (so far):

First, I always double the recipe so I use the whole can of chickpeas,

** sometimes I add 1-2 oz. roasted red pepper from a jar (water pack) and a bit of the liquid for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

** sometimes I add 1/2 cup of mixed olive salad (from Curt's Oilerie in Fish Creek) with most of the added olive oil drained off, for Olive Hummus which adds about 30 calories per serving.
~~~~~~

That's it. I made the Olive for WWKIP Day yesterday the day before. Most of the time I buy a package of pita breads, cut them in half then in wedges, lightly spritz them with oil and bake for a few minute until they're crisp. I was a bit disappointed by the bought pita chips, but you're on your own with this part. Glad you liked it!


Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment